
By BY THE LEARNING NETWORK from NYT The Learning Network https://ift.tt/3r5w1Yv
After vacations and remote learning for more than two months, students across Pakistan are going back to classrooms.
On Monday morning, hundreds of students, clad in uniforms, made their way towards their schools. Strict implementation of SOPs is being ensured at schools and temperatures of students are being checked at the entrance and social distancing is being practised.
Classrooms and halls at schools and colleges were sanitised before the students arrived. Hand sanitisers have been installed at multiple points inside the campuses as well.
In a meeting last month, the National Command and Operation Centre decided that classes for each grade will be held on alternate days three days a week and the student strength will be 50%.
All the remaining educational institutions are opening tomorrow. I wish the very best to all students.
— Shafqat Mahmood (@Shafqat_Mahmood) January 31, 2021
Federal Education Minister Shafqat Mahmood has said that the government will closely monitor coronavirus cases and close schools located in virus hotspots.
Students of classes nine to 12, O and A-levels resumed on January 18. Mahmood said that this was because these students had to sit for their board exams.
No student will be promoted without exams this year, he added.
Last week, the government also released the academic calendar for the year which gave the following schedule:
All educational institutions across the country were closed late February after coronavirus cases began to rise. They were reopened in phases starting September 15.
Universities, colleges, and classes IX and X resumed from September 15. Students from classes VI to VIII were called to schools from September 23 and the students enrolled below class VI started from September 30.
To compensate for the lost time, Pakistan’s educational institutions decided to remain open on Saturdays and not have winter vacations.
On November 23, after the second wave of coronavirus cases hit the country, the government announced that all educational institutions would close again from November 26.
Classes were taken online till December 24 and winter vacations started from December 25 and were supposed to last till January 10. The government said it would hold a meeting to review the decision to reopen schools on January 4.
The NCOC then decided that schools would reopen in phases with classes nine to 12 being the first to reopen on January 18.
A Russian man hunted an eight-year-old Kashmir markhor in Gilgit-Baltistan‘s Gahirat Gol on Saturday.
The markhor had 38-inch horns.
The hunted paid $64,000 to hunt Pakistan’s national animal as part of the country’s trophy hunting programme.
This was the third and final hunt of the season. Previously, two American hunters have killed two markhors in the region.
Markhor is protected by the local and international laws like the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species. It can be found in Gilgit-Baltistan, Chitral, Kalash Valley, Hunza among other Northern parts of Pakistan.
Although hunting the markhor is illegal in Pakistan, the government has introduced a scheme which makes the hunt legal. The scheme is known as trophy hunting.
A hunting trophy license is issued after a proper auction by Peshawar’s wildlife department. The highest bidder is then given a permit to hunt one markhor.
Annually, four hunting trophy licenses are issued for Markhor hunting and 80% of the money collected is distributed among the local community, whereas 20% is kept by the wildlife department.
Follow SAMAA English on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Myanmar’s military declared a one-year state of emergency on Monday, handing power to a former general after arresting civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi and other senior officials.
An announcement read out on military-owned Myawaddy TV said the move was needed to preserve the “stability” of the state, accusing the country’s election commission of failing to address “huge irregularities” in a November election.
Suu Kyi, Myanmar’s de facto leader, was detained in the early hours along with the president and other top politicians after weeks of tensions with the military over the allegations of vote-rigging.
“The UEC (election commission) failed to solve huge voter lists irregularities in the multiparty general election which was held on November 8th 2020,” said the statement signed by the new acting president Myint Swe, a former general who had been vice-president.
The statement accused “other party organisations” of “harming the stability of the state”.
“As the situation must be resolved according to the law, a state of emergency is declared.”
The statement said responsibility for “legislation, administration and judiciary” had been handed over to military commander-in-chief Min Aung Hlaing.
Here are some of the stories we will be following today [Monday]:
By Soumya Karlamangla and Benjamin Mueller from NYT U.S. https://ift.tt/DIC5l2A